2016 PHILOSOPHIA FESTIVAL, THE 10TH EDITION DEVOTED TO CULTURE
From 25th to 29th may 2016
PHILOSOPHY, IT IS NOT JUST FOR THE OTHERS! FROM 25TH TO 29TH MAY 2016, COME AND REFLECT AND DEBATE ON THE THEME OF CULTURE IN SAINT-EMILION, LIBOURNE AND POMEROL.
Philosophy, it is not just for the others! From 25th to 29th May 2016, come and reflect and debate on the theme of culture in Saint-Emilion, Libourne and Pomerol. For its 10th edition, Philosophia is still wants as accessible, friendly and demanding. A nice program for a festival that has become, in less than 10 years, a standard at a national level.
CULTURE: THE COMMON THEME OF PHILOSOPHIA 2016
After exploring power, nature or love, the Philosophia festival this year focuses on culture. It is a way to return to the fundamentals of philosophy, to mark the 10th edition of the festival. It is also a cross-cutting theme that allows both to focus on the transmission of knowledge and link with current issues. Culture is also a nod to the Saint-Emilion territory, which, from the beginning, has been hosting this “celebration of philosophy.”
“It’s funny because etymologically the word culture as we know it comes from a Greek word which brought together the ideas of transmission, knowledge and working the land. The Philosophia festival is rooted in its territory. We also offer reflections related to the culture of wine and vineyard work”. Cécile Dégrois, Chief Delegate of Philosophia
This year you will be able to participate in some Apéros philo organized at the Saint-Emilion winemakers’ truck, the Saint-Emilion Wine Trip, discuss the “Culture and Civilization of wine”, or meet the architect of the Cité du Vin, which will open in June 2016 in Bordeaux.
PHILOSOPHY ACCESSIBLE TO ALL
Since its creation, the principle of Philosophia is to propose high-level meetings, but where everyone can get something out of it, depending on their desires. While some festival goers prepare beforehand by reading books, others simply take pleasure in the meeting, in the heart of the medieval city of Saint-Emilion. For three years, the festival has seen more and more young people, students and high school pupils,
participate in debates and workshops designed for them:
“Reaching out to a large number of people is very important. We really insist on this matter with our speakers. There is absolutely no compromise on the quality of the speeches, but we want them to be accessible to everyone”. Cécile Dégrois, Chief Delegate of Philosophia
HIGHLIGHTS OF PHILOSOPHIA 2016
With nearly 40 events in just 5 days, the Philosophia festival 2016 offers a particularly packed 10th edition. Here is a selection of news and highlights of the festival:
- Philosophical Banquet: for its 10 years, as a birthday meal, the festival offers a philosophical and convivial evening in the presence of the speakers. (Saturday at 20: 30, reservation required 05 33 03 06 85).
- Philosophical Masterclass: for the first time, the festival will encourage you to go further in philosophical thought. The masterclass will be entitled: “Is the creation of the world a philosophical question?” (Saturday at 10:30).
- The presence of the philosopher is a new event of the festival. Nicolas Demorand and Ali Baddou, former students of Pierre Jacerme, testify the importance of his teaching (Sunday at 10:30).
- Participate in a philosophical trial! Bordeaux Students invite you to the trial of a citation. In groups, you will lead the prosecution or defence: debates and laughs guaranteed (Wednesday at 19:30).
- It is a classic of the festival: the philo walk. Two walks in the vineyard are held on Saturday and Sunday, between nature and culture.
Finally, Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 to 18:00. a unique wine bar, set in a vintage truck, will wait for you not far from the tourism office. Tasting initiations will take place on Saturday, 28th May at 14:00 and 15:30 and on Sunday, 29th May at 14:30 and 16:00. Bookings will be on site at the Saint-Emilion winemakers’ wine truck.